Monday, November 17, 2008

OFFERING HEALTH BENEFITS

Larry, I own a small salon with 5 stylists. They want health benefits. An insurance agent said it would be best in my instance to offer them a bonus based on performance that they can use as they want, and have them take out their own policies so I am not involved.

Do you have experiences/solutions on how I can offer insurance without getting into something I cannot afford? Linda

Linda, I received your question regarding health benefits. This is really difficult. We want to attract good people, but at the same time with health benefit rates as high as they are, it’s hard to maintain profitability if we’re offering fringe benefits. It is somewhat a “catch 22.”

My advice to you at this time would be to wait. For our clients that are considering health benefits, we are advising them to wait to see what President-elect Obama is going to do with health care. I think it is a good consensus out there that one of the first things that President-elect Obama is going to attack is the health care problem. It would be foolish to put a system in at this time and then find that next year, that system is completely changed due to new government policy.

Keep in touch with me on this and if I do see anything, I will let you know.

It is a pleasure serving you.

Larry Kopsa CPA