Tuesday, January 19, 2010

IRS STRIVES FOR 71%

It’s NFL playoff time. Football gets interesting to me this time of year. As I was reading the latest report on the working of the IRS I had to think, “what would people say if an NFL coach said that he expects his team to give 71% in the playoff game?" Athletes always promise to give 110%, which by the way is impossible. I wonder what one of my tax clients would say if I told him or her that I was going to find 71% of the tax deductions that are available. But I guess 71% is good enough for the IRS. The IRS is only promising to try to answer 71 percent of calls from the taxpaying public. The thing is that they consider 71% a great goal.

More than that, the expected average wait time is 12 minutes and if you do get through, the question is do you get the correct answers. The odds of that happening are most likely going to be the same as in the past; 33% to 50% odds they are wrong.

Here is this IRS announcement per a recent article in USA Today.

And the government thinks that they can do a better job running our health care?