Thursday, February 18, 2010

QUESTION ON MY TAX RETURN

This last year I had a son born who only survived 1 day. Do I need to get a Social Security number for him? Do I claim him as a dependent?

Helen

Helen, unfortunately I had a child that died at birth so I have a deep appreciation of how difficult this is for you and your family. My sympathies and thoughts are with you and your family.

I do have a bit of good news for you. You can claim your son on your tax return and you do not have to get a Social Security number for him. You just need to attach a copy of his birth certificate, death certificate, or hospital records to your tax return. Then, write “DIED” in column (2) of line 6c of your Form 1040. Most likely you will have to paper-file your return as opposed to electronically filing.

Again, my sympathies. I sincerely wish you joy in 2010.

Peace to you.

Larry Kopsa CPA