Tuesday, January 3, 2012


Q: For someone 60 what is the maximum IRA contribution? What about if you are 50?

A:If you are 50 years of age or older before the end of 2012, the maximum contribution that can be made to a traditional or Roth IRA is the smaller of $6,000 ($5,000 plus $1,000 catch up) or the amount of your taxable compensation. This limit can be split between a traditional and a Roth IRA but the combined limit is $6,000. The maximum contribution to a Roth IRA and the maximum deductible contribution to a traditional IRA may be reduced depending on your modified adjusted gross income. There can be further limitations for individuals who also participate in an employer provided plan.

If you are age 50 or older and have a SIMPLE IRA, the maximum contribution is different. The base amount is 100% of your compensation up to $11,500 and the catch up amount is $2,500, for a maximum contribution of $14,000. There is no phase out.

Of course to complicate matters there are some exceptions. If you are covered by a retirement plan at work here are the phase outs. CLICK HERE

If your spouse is covered by a pension plan then there are some different phase outs. CLICK HERE