Thursday, June 21, 2012


School’s out and many students will be starting summer jobs. I want to remind you that  employers may be withholding taxes, so you may not get all of the money that you earn and if you don't take action you may have to file a tax return to get your refund. 

Here is a tip that might help.

When you first start a new job, you must fill out a Form W-4, Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate. This form is used by employers to determine the amount of tax that will be withheld from your paycheck.

If you have multiple summer jobs, make sure all your employers are withholding an adequate amount of taxes to cover your total income tax liability. To make sure your withholding is correct, use the Withholding Calculator on

If you do not anticipate owing any tax and did not owe tax last year, you can simply indicate on your W-4 and your employer should not withhold.