Monday, March 15, 2010

FEDERAL PAY AHEAD OF PRIVATE INDUSTRY

I remember when I was young adult trying to decide on my career path that my college adviser said that if I was to go to work for the government I would have a lower wage but good benefits and a good retirement plan. I opted to go the private route and at first had a higher salary than my peers that went to work for Uncle Sam.

Now, according to an article in USA Today, that has all changed. The average salary of $67,691 plus $40,487 in benefits to the government workers for occupations that exit both in the private and public sector compares to $60,046 of salary plus $9,882 of benefits for private sector workers. They state that in 8 of 10 occupations, federal employees earn a higher average salary.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-03-04-federal-pay_N.htm>