Thursday, February 24, 2011


Q. I worked for a company during 2010 as an employee but I can't get them to send me my W-2 so I can't file my return. I know I should have a refund. What do I do?

A. You should receive a Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement by January 31, 2011. Maybe they are just a little slow. If you don't get the W-2 or if you can't find the company here are the steps you should take.

Next, since you did not receive your W-2 by February 14th, contact the IRS for assistance at 800-829-1040. When you call, you must provide your name, address, city and state, including zip code, Social Security number, phone number and have the following information:

• Employer’s name, address, city and state, including zip code and phone number
• Dates of employment
• An estimate of the wages you earned, the federal income tax withheld, and when you worked for that employer during 2010. The estimate should be based on year-to-date information from your final pay stub or leave-and-earnings statement, if possible.

Then, if you have not received your Form W-2 and contacted the IRS as stated above, you may use Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. Attach Form 4852 to the return, estimating income and withholding taxes as accurately as possible. Note: There may be a delay in any refund due while the information is verified.