Tuesday, February 15, 2011


Q. Help settle a bet with my wife. We had in individual come in and paint our house this last year. We paid him $3150. I say that since he is not a corporation and since the amount is over $600 I have to give him a 1099. My wife says I am wrong. Please say that I am right... movie selection over the next 3 months depends on your answer.


A. Walt, best disconnect your computer so your wife does not see my answer or get ready for three months of romantic comedies and tear jerkers.

Assuming that your house is not your business property you do not need to do a 1099. 1099's are for business expenses only. That may change some day, but for now your wife is right.

Larry Kopsa CPA