Saturday, November 12, 2011

FLAT TAX QUESTION

Q. Hello Larry,
Not sure if you remember me, but I attended York College and had a few of your classes in '03-'05. With all of this "flat tax" talk by Presidential candidates right now, all I could think about was my classes where you would talk about that proposed flat tax that you said if it ever became law, instead of putting you out of business you'd have more business than before because it was so complex. Anyways, I was just curious what you thought about the current suggestions (Cain's 9-9-9 and Perry recent proposal-20% or normal, etc.). Thanks for listening!~ Samuel

A. Sam, sure I remember you. I hope all is going well. Looks like a nice accounting firm that you are with.

Regarding the 9-9-9 and Perry’s 20% Alternative I don’t see any way that those plans are anything other than campaign rhetoric. To start with, tax laws must originate in the House Ways and Means Committee not with the President. The last major tax legislation was in 1986 and that took over 2 years to get through Congress. And even with that, as people start studying the plans they realize that there is not enough money in the plan to make it work.

Oh yea… I forgot … “you can take away all the deductions but don’t take away my ________________ (fill in the blank -depreciation/charitable/tax exempt interest/child tax credit/medical expense etc.)

And don’t forget what I said in class, “people want fair and simple, but in reality that does not exist. Something can be simple but usually it is not fair so to make it fair we have to make it more complex.” Law of the universe.

Keep in touch.