Friday, May 25, 2012

NEW START UP

Q: I am going to start up a salon and I need your help. Can you tell me how to get started?

A: I would suggest that you go to Barnes and Nobel and purchase a book on business start up. I think there may even be one on the beauty industry. Sit down and read… no study that book.

We can help you with the numbers portion but there is a fee. If I were you I would want to know several things before I go any further:

· Who is my competition
· Where am I going to get workers
· What is the current pricing in my area
· What will I have to pay the workers
· How am I going to get clients to come to me
· What is my marketing plan
· Calendar of tasks to do before startup
· City codes/zoning requirements
· Construction costs
· Financing
· Lease versus purchase of equipment
· Knowledge of employee laws
· Preparation of employee manual
· Signage
· Payroll tax requirements
· Job duties
· Who is doing payroll
    · Monthly cash flow for working capital needs
    · Breakeven point.. How many clients to I need to see just to keep the doors open
    · Computer software choices
    · Grand opening planning
· Choice of products
    · Initial orders

This is not a full list but things off the top of my head. You have to know these things of you are headed for failure. You have to have the knowledge or you have to buy the knowledge.

Ownership is not easy and to be quite honest not profitable at first. Trust me. I get to deal with salons that are 12 to 18 months old that did not have a clear understanding of what they were getting into and many times by then it is ”too late to save the patient.

Read the book… no study the book and after you have studied if you would like contact me we can talk.