Thursday, December 11, 2008

QUESTION ON "C" CORP FISCAL TAX YEAR

Larry, I ran across your blog and was wondering if you could answer a question for me. I was interviewing an accountant for my taxes and he was telling me that the only choice for year end for a C Corp fiscal year is either Oct. 1st or Jan. 1st. I could not find the info on the IRS web site. Thanks for your time. Kyle

Kyle, a "C" corporation can have a fiscal year ending at the end of any calendar month. Either there is a misunderstanding, or you need to find yourself a professional tax advisor who is a little more knowledgeable about such basic matters. If this is what the accountant really thinks, consider yourself lucky that this person revealed his ignorance so early in your potential relationship.

Good luck.

Larry Kopsa CPA