Tuesday, April 28, 2009


I filed my 2008 taxes and was supposed to get a refund. Is there a way that I can check the status?


Ted, the IRS has made checking the status of your refund pretty easy. If you already filed your federal tax return and are due a refund, you can check the status of your refund online. Just go to www.IRS.gov and click on Where's My Refund?

Where’s My Refund? gives you online access to your refund information. If you e-file, you can get refund information 72 hours after IRS acknowledges receipt of your return. If you file a paper return, refund information will be available within three to four weeks.

When checking the status of your refund, have your federal tax return handy. To get your personalized refund information you must enter:

  • Your Social Security Number (or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number).

  • Filing status (Single, Married Filing Joint Return, Married Filing Separate Return, Head of Household, or Qualifying Widow(er)).

  • Exact refund amount shown on your tax return.

I hope that you get your refund soon.

Larry Kopsa CPA