Friday, October 14, 2011

PROTESTS ON WALL STREET

Maybe this is too political but.... this past summer I read Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. The book explores a dystopian US where leading innovators refuse to to be exploited by society. The protagonist sees society collapse around her as the government asserts control over all industry while the most productive citizens progressively disappear.

As I watch the protests on Wall Street and the ones spreading across the country, I thought of this book and the following statements. If anybody that reads this understands what the protesters are trying to get across would you please email me so that maybe I can understand.

Here are the concepts that I pulled out of my quotes bag.

1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity.

2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.

3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.