Saturday, December 3, 2011


Q. I am definitely an employee at my job but, my employer did not withhold anything and instead of giving me a W-2 like he should have he gave me a 1099. Last year he gave me a W-2. Now not only do I owe a bunch of tax I also have to pay both halves of the Social Security and Medicare tax. This is not fair. Is there anything I can do?

A. Yes there is something you can do to cut your Social Security and Medicare in half. Since 2007, you are allowed to file a Form 8919M Uncollected Social Security and Medicare Tax on wages instead of filing Schedule SE. The form SE charges you tax at 15.3% versus the 7.65%.

There are some codes on the form that you will need to review and if you meet one of the criteria, walla you qualify.

By the way, this IRS may be visiting your employer. He will at least be getting a bill from the IRS for his 1/2.