Friday, November 9, 2012


Q.  A friend of mine says I do not have to pay tax on amounts received if it is under $600.  If that is true I have been overpaying my taxes for several years.  Is that true?

A.  This is probably one of the most repeated tax myths out there. So, let me clear it up for you quickly: income is income, no matter the amount. The threshold for required reporting from the payor is $600; which means that if payments are at least $600, a federal form 1099 must be issued. Some folks believe that if no 1099 is actually issued, you don’t have to report it. That’s not true. You have to report all of your income, from whatever source, on your tax return unless it’s otherwise excluded.