Thursday, November 8, 2012

TRAVEL PET PEEVES


As you know I travel a lot. During my travels I stay in a lot of different hotel rooms and am able to notice a lot of things that are good, bad and ugly about hotels. Here you have my annual list of the top hotel pet peeves.

Hotel pet peeve #1 - Hotel alarm clocks with small numbers to read without glasses and 500 buttons to push to set the alarm.

Hotel pet peeve #2 - One electrical plug-in.

Recently I was staying in Washington DC at the Wardman Marriott. I needed to plug in my iPad and phone. I ended having to plug in my phone on the bathroom sink. No outlet was close enough to charge close to the bed.

Hotel pet peeve #3 - Using a key card in the slot to turn on electricity to the room.

Many energy friendly hotels now require that you take your hotel room card and put it into a receptacle inside the door to turn on the electricity in the room, thus saving energy when you are out of the room. This works great until you need to charge your laptop while you are away and all the electricity is turned off when you leave the room.

Hotel pet peeve #4 - Hotel shampoo bottles with letters too small to read without glasses.

Just about 10 or 15 years ago I had great eyesight. Today I have to have reading glasses to read almost anything. How come they make the shampoo bottles so hard to read that you almost have to wear glasses into the shower? I usually find that many hotels have a body wash, shampoo, conditioner and body lotion bottles. Without my glasses I could be using body lotion for conditioner and body wash for shampoo. All they need to do is put in big letters on the bottle, SHAMPOO.

Hotel pet peeve #5 - Drapes that don't close all the way.

How come I always find a room where the drapes do not always close all the way so that spotlight shining up on the hotel is always shining in my eyes all night long? I wakeup in the middle of the night and think the sun is up. After looking at the clock, which I cannot read, finding my glasses, and seeing that it is the middle of the night, it is hard to get back to sleep.

Hotel pet peeve # 6 - Charging for wi-fi.

It still irks me that some of the best hotels charge $10 to $15 a day for internet access in the room. If Starbucks can provide free wi-fi so can Marriott.

Please let me know what you think.